As one of the largest Fintech hubs globally, Singapore continues to show great initiatives to both support players in the industry, and to promote innovation and competition from digital banks and Fintech startups.
Thanks to measures taken by governmental institutions and the collective Fintech community, Singapore continues to lead and set even higher standards for other hubs worldwide. Initiatives such as the MAS Green Finance Investments Plan, where up to US$2 billion will be invested in public market green strategies, or the internationally acclaimed Singapore Fintech Festival, with 60,000 participants and over 550 speakers in 2019, can give you a small glimpse as to why they are ahead.
With the accelerating disruption evidenced by new Fintech companies and innovative projects within traditional banks, an increasingly high number of finance professionals are seeking to expand their knowledge on all things Fintech. Here’s a list of some of the best Fintech courses to take in Singapore, to improve your knowhow and qualifications on the subject.
Summary: The Fintech Foundation Course is an introductory course to learn about Fintech and digital finance from the Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship. It targets finance professionals, entrepreneurs, and technologists. It has been designed in collaboration with 4 senior lecturers and 16 industry experts from across finance, to give a comprehensive breakdown of main Fintech trends in a simple and concise way.
- Taught in an easy-to-digest manner by 4 senior Fintech lecturers who between them have lectured at Singapore Management University, Imperial College London, Oxford University and The University of Hong Kong.
- Industry insights from 16 top experts working in Fintech, including the Global Head of Bank Research at Citi, Global Head of Innovation at HSBC, CEO of Ping An Technology, and many more.
- Accreditation from the Institute of Banking and Finance in Singapore and CPD in the UK.
- Be part of a global community of over 50,000 professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Events to network and free online lessons with key people in FinTech to stay updated.
- Huy Nguyen Trieu (CEO – The Disruptive Group | Co-Founder – CFTE | Associate Fellow – the University of Oxford)
- Andrei Kirilenko (Director – Centre for Global Finance and Technology | Imperial College London)
- Janos Barberis (Founder – Supercharger | Head of Entrepreneurship – CFTE | Research Fellow – Hong Kong University)
- Dan Liebau (Founder – Lightbulb Capital | Instructor Fintech & Innovation – Singapore Management University)
- 40,000+ Learners Enrolled
- 4 Senior Academics
- 16 Fintech Guest Experts
Cost: £360 or 3 payments of £120. All Singaporean citizens and PRs enjoy a government subsidy of 95% off the regular fee, thanks to the IBF Standards Training Schemes. You can read more about this opportunity here.
Certificate: CPD Accredited Certificate of Completion, IBF Accredited
- Course Format: 100% Online
- Course Access: 6 months access to content from start date
- Course Model: Instructor-Led
Summary: This 3-day module will help learners understand how a design mindset can help to create new value in the ﬁnancial services sector. Participants will be able to study new technologies that are shaping FinTech business models, and how these models can be set up within regulated finance organisations. It offers fundamentals of Design Thinking to be applied to creative problem solving. This module forms part of a 3-module Executive Certificate in FinTech & Innovation from SMU Academy.
Advantages: Participants who attend this programme are able to earn 21 CPD Points awarded by CPA Australia
- Andrea Hadju-Howe; Partner, Antler
- Alexandre Kelch; CEO, Onchain
- Zennon Kapron; Founder, KapronAsia
Level: Intermediate Cost: SGD3,210.00 Certificate: n/a
Summary: This executive program will cover topics from emerging technologies to business model innovations, advanced analytics and digital strategies. You will acquire a better understanding of the rapidly evolving Fintech landscape and how new technology can impact pre-existing business models, through seminars, discussions, and case studies.
Advantages: Presential classes and designed for leaders and managers in financial institutions and related organisations
- Chris Boncimino; Senior Vice President, Head of Innovation & Design, Asia Pacific Visa Worldwide
- Sopnendu Mohanty; Chief FinTech Officer, Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Mikko S. Niemelä; Chief Executive Officer, Cyber Intelligence House
- Carlos Quaderi; Enterprise Director, Microsoft Asia Pacific
- Joydeep Sangupta; Senior Partner McKinsey & Company
- Robin Speculand; Founder & CEO, Bridges Business Consultancy Int
Level: Intermediate Cost: SGD 4,269 Certificate: n/a
Summary: This course is meant to provide a comprehensive understanding of some of the key concepts, business models and technologies of the FinTech and Blockchain sectors. It seeks to aid participants in pursuing a career or progressing their trajectory in emerging areas in the Financial Services industry. Through exploring the necessary Fintech knowledge and set of skills, it will enable students to better understand the digitalised finance services industry. Some of the technologies studies will include Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, Cloud Computing, Big Data and Machine Learning.
Advantages: It will be imparted throughout 60 hours split into 12 sessions of presential classes and the final project consists of a hackathon to assess the knowledge gained across the different modules in this programme.
Level: Should have previous knowledge on FinTech. Polytechnic Diploma or Degree in Information Technology, Business or any other relevant discipline is required. Cost: Ranges from SGD387.20 to SGD3424.00 depending on applicable discounts Certificate: Certificate of Performance (electronic Certificate)
Summary: Offered by the School of Business at the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) this diploma aims to help finance professionals gain knowledge of Fintech and upskill themselves to be able to meet work challenges presented by emerging technologies, arising disruptive business models, and changes in processes, products and applications which are shifting the financial services industry. Please consider that applicants must be a Singapore citizen, permanent resident or a resident in Singapore (e.g., Employment Pass holder) in order to apply.
Advantages: Students who have graduated with GCFT are entitled to course credit recognition when they further enroll into GDFT and MFIN programmes, in alignment with the nation’s emphasis on stackable credentials. Also applicants with social outreach or volunteering experience have an additional advantage.
Level: Bachelor’s degree required Cost: $14,124 for Singapore Citizens and PR’s ; $16,948.80 for Other Residents Certificate: Graduate Diploma
Summary: This online course has been created to equip participants with an understanding of the FinTech space, from a practical business standpoint. It will evaluate opportunities and challenges faced in the sector, to learn how to apply them within organizations. The focus will be on real business issues, with numerous case studies from start-up and relevant communities across different regions.
Advantages: Course module is completely virtual and will be uploaded weekly, so that learners can go at their own pace, whilst an instructor will still be available to provide assistance
- Richard Johnson; Advisor and Consultant in Digital Banking, Commerce & Fintech
Level: Intermediate Cost: n/a Certificate: CPD Certified
Summary: This masters programme is hosted by the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The curriculum provides participants with the necessary FinTech skills for understanding the transforming finance industry landscape. Built on AI, data science, and information technology, the focus for this master is in the emerging technologies that are disrupting the finance sector, including automation and blockchain tech.
Advantages: Prospective Singaporean students for this course are eligible for the Financial Specialist Scholarship (FSS), offered by the Institute of Banking & Finance.
- From two NTU schools: School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences (SPMS) and School of Computer Science & Engineering (SCSE)
Level: Bachelor’s degree is required Cost: Singapore Citizens SGD35,000 + GST ; Singapore Permanent Residents / International Students SGD55,000 + GST Certificate: Graduate Diploma
So which is the right course for you?
When choosing the right course, there are plenty of points to evaluate. It will truly depend on each learner, and the convenience, price range, level of education, and quality they are looking for. If you’re more advanced and are looking to further your higher education, the masters programmes would be an option for you. If however you’re looking for something more short term, and easily accessible to begin with, one of the online courses will be a better choice.
One thing is certain, it is vital to learn Fintech to progress in the banking and finance sector and Singapore is supporting this training in more ways than one. If you want to begin now with some foundational knowledge, a great opportunity is CFTE’s Fintech Foundation Course. Subsidized by the IBF, participants are offered 95% off the original course value.
This subsidy also applies to our AI in Finance Course which is for anyone more interested in AI applications in finance. So reach out to us here and on our chatbox, at the lower right corner of your screen if you want to learn more about this subsidy.
About CFTE We are a platform supported by senior leaders from the largest institutions, startups, and universities. We address the needs of professionals in finance to upskill in a rapidly changing industry being transformed by emerging technologies. More than 50,000 participants learn from our online courses, such as AI in Finance, Fintech Foundation or Extrapreneurship, a mini-MBA with fast-growing startups such as Revolut or Shift Technology.
- Google Apigee’s Head of Strategy for Finance, Paul Rohan, teaches Open Banking in an online course
- What do consumers think of banking apps?
- AI in Finance: Private Banking Masterclass by Philip Watson
- Can challenger banks ever replace incumbent banks as our primary bank account?
- Education and the role of government – by Tram Anh Nguyen